Introduction to Atmospheric Chemistry, by Daniel J. Jacob
Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1999
Last updated January 14, 2004
- p. 36, equation (3.22), middle equation: "U" in denominator of first term
on right-hand side should not be there.
- p. 46, equation (4.4), "gradient dot P": the dot shouldn't be there (this
is not a scalar product of vectors, P is not a vector).
- p. 54, exercise 4-1: unit of gamma_b should be m s-2, not m s-1.
- p.105, equation (6.19): tauCO2 should be 13 years, not 9 years,
using mCO2 = 790 Pg C (page 94) and NPP = 60 Pg C yr-1.
- p.110, question 1.2 of problem 6.4: tau should be 3.1 years, not 3.3 years.
- page 126, exercise 7-1: the distance of Venus to the sun is 1.08*108 not
1.08*106. This should be corrected in both the question and the answer.
- page 170, Figure 10-5: in the left panel the unit for tauox is missing
[seconds]; in the right panel the unit for O3 is incorrect, the s-1 should
be removed [1012 molecules cm-3].
- page 221, problem 11.3-1: the molecule on the right hand side of equation
(2a) should be CH3OOH rather than CH2OOH.
- p. 236, equation (12.4), first term on right-hand-side should be
2k8[HO2]2. This error carries to equation (12.5)
where the denominator on the right-hand-side should be 2k8.
- p. 253, problem 13.2: unit for KH should be M atm-1.
NUMERICAL SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS (p. 257-258)
- Answer to question (2.1) of problem 2.2 should be 1.19 kg m-3.
- Answer to question (2) of problem 4.9 should be 97 km.
- Answer to problem 7.6 should be "Optical depth 0.013".
- Lifetime of NO in answer to question 2 of problem 10.8 should be 10 s, not 2 s.
- Answer to question (2.1) of problem 11.3 should be 71%. Answer to question
(2.2) of the same problem should be 0.74 (CH4), 0.29 (CO).
Many thanks to Thomas Koop (ETH Zurich), Valerie Young (Ohio University), Sotirios Gravas (U. Patras),
Colette Heald (Harvard), Geert-Jan Roelofs (Utrecht), Randall Martin (Dalhousie) for identifying some of these